The Edison Awards are named for American inventor, Thomas Alva Edison and were established in 1987 by the American Marketing Association. The annual awards recognize and honor innovation in product design and services. More than 40 gold awards were given out at this year’s ceremony including the aforementioned:
Boeing 787 DreamlinerThe Boeing 787 Dreamliner, designed by The Boeing Company Design Team and TEAGUE design consultants, won a gold award in the Transportation category. This innovative commercial airplane was recognized for its impressive energy (it expends 20% less fuel and produces 20% fewer emissions than similarly sized airplanes) and upkeep requirements (it has 40% lower maintenance costs and 10% better operating costs).
Firefly Newborn PhototherapyFirefly Newborn Phototherapy, designed by Design that Matters, won a gold award in the Social Impact category. Firefly was created as the first device for treating newborns with jaundice in the mother's room in rural clinic settings. It's compact, low-resource design provides affordable phototherapy, supports breastfeeding, and reduces staff workload.
3M LED Advanced Light3M's LED Advanced Light, designed by 3M, won a gold award in the Lighting category. This technology allows for an LED replacement bulb to deliver the form and function of an incandescent by using light guide technology to provide a beautiful uniform light source for the home. 3M also won a silver award in the Diagnostic/Analytic Systems category for its Molecular Detection System designed by 3M Food Safety.
The complete list of award categories, spanning a broad range of areas, is as follows:
- Applied Technology (Productivity Tools, Research & Collaborative Tools, Safety, Smart Systems)
- Consumer Packaged Goods (Beverage Preparation, Cleaning Solutions, Household, Personal Care)
- Electronics & Computers (Content Management, Entertainment, IT/Computing Solutions)
- Energy (Lighting, Power Generation/Utilization, Transportation)
- Edison Green Award
- Innovative Services (Business Optimization, Collaboration/Knowledge Management, Environment/Conservation, Health Management, Safety/Security)
- Lifestyle & Social Impact (Funding Models, Personal Wellness, Productivity Tools, Quality Of Life, Social Impact)
- Living, Working, & Learning Environments (Collaboration Innovation/Service Delivery, Learning Support/Behavior Change)
- Thomas A Edison Marketing Award (Communication/Campaign, Measurement/Management Tools)
- Material Science (Coatings, Composites, Processes, Media, Connectivity, Design)
- Science/Medical (Aesthetics, Assistive Devices, Diagnostic/Analytic Systems, Game Changer, Surgical Aids)
- Student Innovator
If there's a product or topic you'd like to see The Q Source Resource write about please let us know. We'd also appreciate if you share this blog post with your friends and colleagues via the social media links below. And, as always, feel free to leave us a message in the comments section.