|Dave Jones of EEVBlog|
Jones believes that you can do a perfect solder job every time from day one if you have the right tools, rules, and techniques. And he's come up with six basic rules to follow for quality soldering results:
- Use a quality-brand temperature-controlled soldering iron.
- Use a quality-brand <0.5 mm solder.
- Flux is everything. Whether it's in the solder itself or separate.
- Use the right soldering tip. The chisel shape is the best for most applications.
- Don't bring the solder to the joint! Start with the soldering iron on one side and the solder on the other side.
- Use the correct temperature for the job is incredibly important. Usually 350° Celsius/700° Fahrenheit at the most.
After watching this video, we truly believe you'll have an excellent grasp of how to perform the most basic soldering techniques. When you're ready to move on from there, Jones has a third video where he focuses on Surface Mount soldering (we'll look at Part 3 in a future blog post). As we've mentioned before, a visit to the EEV Blog will be an informative and fun experience, which will keep you coming back for more.
The Q Source Resource will be filling you in about Part 3 of this video tutorial series soon, and we will continue to present you with helpful tips and tricks as often as possible. Please let us know whenever you discover an informative piece of information that you think is worthwhile to share with the Q Source community. For more information about quality soldering products, please visit the Soldering & Desoldering Department at QSource.com.